The Chicago Police Department believe Empire actor Jussie Smollett staged an attack on himself last month, according to a report.
Breaking: Two law enforcement sources tell CNN that Chicago Police believe Jussie Smollett paid two men to orchestrate the assault. Rolling live coverage starting now on @CNN…
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) February 16, 2019
The dramatic development comes after Chicago police released two men connected to the alleged staged attack, citing to “new evidence” obtained in their interrogations, a law enforcement spokesperson said.
“Due to new evidence as a result of today’s interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete,” said Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.
Earlier Saturday, Fox 32 Chicago’s Rafer Weigel, citing several police sources, reported Abimbola “Abel” and Olabinjo “Ola” Osundairo — the two Nigerian brothers arrested and later questioned by police — purchased the rope found around the actor’s neck the night of the alleged incident at an ACE hardware store.
In a phone interview with New York Times reporter Sopan Deb, Guglielmi would not confirm Weigel’s report, but did say, “After we spoke to the former suspects last night, detectives reached out to Jussie Smolletts’s attorneys and expressed interest that we need to talk to him again.”
This story is developing. Check Breitbart News for more updates.